Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Science Museum

For Christmas I asked my parents to give us a family membership to the local science museum. They were happy to do it! We've been once so far (forgot my camera) and Miles and I went again today. They are supposed to have story and craft time on Wednesdays. Either I wasn't in the right area, or they didn't have it today but we had a lot of fun anyway!

Miles playing with their huge water table.
There were not a lot of people there and seemingly all of them were there for the children's museum. It was not crowded at all, but there were enough other kids that everyone got to share and enough other moms to be able to make small talk.

Miles playing at the sand table
They have lots of little areas set up for kids to play, learn, touch, and participate. We started off in a little area where you can play house. That didn't last long, then we headed through an area with exhibits on electricity, heat, sound, and some gear toys to their water play area. They have a nice water table set up with lots of smocks. They have scoops, waterwheels, and ducks. We didn't play long there when Miles decided he was done. As we were looking for the next thing to play with he found a sand table. We played there for a long time.
He would scoop, pour, dump, pile, and rake the sand. He was really loving it. Other kids would come in and play for a bit then wander off. Not Miles! He knew right were he wanted to be! He did a great job sharing with the other kids, but I think he was never sad to see their parents take them off. Eventually he decided he needed to climb on the table. I told him that if he wanted to do that we would go upstairs where they have a paleontology exhibit. They have two huge sand boxes with shovels and brushes where you "discover" some cast dinosaur bones. We'd walked through this area coming in, so he'd seen it and was all for it! We made it upstairs (with detours to see the snakes) and he was in heaven! We spent the rest of the time there and he had the sand box to himself. At some point several other kids came in and used the other sandbox in the room, but he had the one to himself.

After playing for a little short of three hours we left the museum. On the way home we called grandma to say thanks for the gift and see if she wanted to go out to lunch. She was thrilled to get away for a while and we had a nice visit. Miles fell asleep on the way home, and I'm off to work out!

No comments: