Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Surprise! Relatives!

Well, it wasn't totally a surprise. I knew they would be coming, just not that soon! Jared's aunt and uncle from Oregon were vacationing near LA and decided to come by for a visit. I was told in the morning that they were near LA and on their way. It took Jared and I about 8 hours to get from SF to LA. I knew it would not take them that long (we had a baby with us after all), however I wasn't expecting them before Miles had his afternoon nap!

I had to get out to mail the property taxes (to send them certified). I needed to leave a bit before 2 so he would be down by 2:30. I had already swept, mopped, and mostly picked up. I didn't pick up after lunch because we had a late one and I needed to go and Miles pulled all the DVD's out of the cabinet while I was getting ready. No big deal. I'll run out, mail the taxes, come back and put him down and pick up those few things. I also had some laundry that needed to go down stairs but I didn't have enough hands to carry it and Miles. It would wait too (in the hallway so I could get it while he was asleep). There is a Starbucks two blocks from the post office, and I have had two gift cards to there in the diaper bag for a year (obviously not a way I treat myself often). I decided to stop in and grab a coffee to have while I was finishing up the house. I get back in the car and start back to the house (about 20 blocks). Then the car starts making a very strange noise. It was like a slapping noise related to the speed that I was traveling. I pulled over to see if it was tire tread or something attached that should be or some such. As I'm getting back in the car, my phone rang. It was Jared's uncle. He was in front of our house. Great.

I don't really know these relatives well. Actually, that is an understatement. I can't remember the last time that I spent time with them, and I've never spent time with them alone. Well, it was only a little after 2, and Jared wasn't set to get off until 5. After that he had an hour drive back to the house. No to mention it was the day after a holiday and it had been raining so traffic was terrible!

Anyway, let's just say that I got to know them a bit better. Let's also say that I have learned if you are expecting anyone, don't leave your house in a state you would be embarrassed for them to walk into. Even if you are not expecting them for another 2 or so hours.

No comments: