Friday, January 9, 2009

Spaghetti Squash Casserole

I had intended to make spaghetti squash casserole from here this week. I had some meat in the freezer, and I bought a spaghetti squash so I thought I was good. I started making the recipe and realized that my squash was 2x lager than it should have been (by weight). I decided to only cook half of the squash. While that was cooking and cooling, I thawed my ground beef. The further this process went, the worse the meat looked. While the meat was thawing, I was busy chopping. We don't use canned tomatoes, so I was cutting fresh tomatoes and onions and garlic. By the time the beef was thawed, I decided that it was bad, but I had already cooked half of the squash and cut all the veggies. Time to reevaluate the situation! I quickly thawed two chicken breasts, chopped up some spinach, then diced the raw chicken. I threw that in the skillet I had already prepped for the beef and cooked it. Once that was cooked, I threw in the onion, garlic and after a bit the tomatoes and spinach. I put this in a baking dish with the squash and tossed the whole business with about a half a cup of cheddar. I put it in the oven for 20 min, then added a little of both mozzarella and parmigiana. After about 5 more minutes everything was melty and yummy! If I were to make it again, I'd have used the whole squash.

I didn't take any pics of the process because I wasn't expecting much and I was scrambling most of the time, but I did take a pic of the leftovers. I'll post later!

Have a great night!

No comments: