Saturday, April 4, 2009

Easter Egg Hunt

The playgroup/Early Childhood PTA that we are in had their annual Easter egg hunt today. Jared and I were going to take Miles, but last week Jared got notified that there was a work day at his shooting club. He had missed the last one and felt like he needed to make this one. I called in the backup. My mom took him with me. He had so much fun! We got there early enough to play on the playground before the hunt began.

So did everyone else! There were so many kids there! Miles still had fun. For the most part I was able to hang back and just let him play. Finally everyone started lining up for the hunt. We went over there and found out that they were going to begin by age groups. The little kids (one and under I think) were first. Ten minutes later Miles' age group was to begin, and ten minutes after that the oldest kids would hunt.
On the way over to the hunt area, I was telling Miles that there are surprises in the eggs, and explained to him that he had to find them and put them in his basket. I may have done too good a job getting him excited. When we got there and I told him that he had to wait he was not happy and a tantrum ensued. Anyway, he managed to wait and they started his group. He did a great job "hunting," and had fun.
As a side note, even for the oldest group, they didn't hide the eggs. Everyone had to bring two dozen filled eggs and they just tossed them out on the ground. It was fine for the age group Miles is in, but I think it would have been a let down for the older ones.


We took advantage of the other kids preoccupation and went back to the playground. He had fun, but at some point picked up his basket and started back for the area where the hunt had been. I followed him and he shouted "fun" and went to the area where his age group had hunted. He was disappointed that there were no eggs left, but then spied the ground where the younger age group had been. It looked like they hadn't hunted at all! He ran over there only to be disappointed again. I guess the parents had set their kids down in an area and let their kids pick up, open, and explore. Then put back down. All the eggs had been opened. He still enjoyed sitting and going through them. After that we went over to the Easter bunny. Miles actually went up to him for a little bit. Then it was time to head back to the car.


No comments: